We all want to be millionaires. But let’s face it, most of us aren’t. However, that’s not a reason not to dress for the part. After all, the phrase “fake it ‘till you make it” was put there for a reason.
According to a study at Wake Forest University in North Carolina, 50 students were asked to act like socialites for 15 minutes in a group discussion, even if they weren’t social and didn’t feel like acting that way.
The results were that the students got more confident and social as the experiment went on.
In another study by Northwestern University researchers Hajo Adam and Adam Galinsky, it was discovered that wearing specific clothing can automatically influence people’s perspective.
The conclusion is that you don’t have to be a millionaire to look like one.
So to help you dress to impress, here are Arabian Business’ top 10 tips on how to look like a million dollars.
1. Always wear cufflinks with your suit: There are slight differences in an “averagely dressed” man and a “well dressed” man. One of these differences is cufflinks. According to Askmen.com, French cuffs should never be worn without cufflinks. Also, if the buckle of your belt is silver, do match your cufflinks with it.
2. The good old briefcase: It’s no wonder that the briefcase seems to be the inspiration behind many women’s handbags, like Olive Pope’s Prada, after all, it does have the same rectangular form. The briefcase could mean the difference between people asking you to go on coffee runs or “wondering if you’re the brains behind the operation,” according to Men’s Health magazine.
3. Shave, shave, shave: Have you ever seen a millionaire with a stubble for facial hair? Neither have we. In fact, online job site Workopolis.com states that most millionaires and CEOs are either clean shaven or have groomed facial hair. Stubble is a no-no for anyone seeking to acquire the millionaire look.
4. Bespoke suits: Steve Cohen, known as the millionaire’s magician, told GQ in an interview that he used to wear Armani 'black label' suits until he realised they made him look like a businessman. Although that’s not a bad thing, as most millionaires are businessmen, there’s a fine line between looking like a regular businessman and a millionaire businessman. That fine line is custom-made suits.
5. Millionaires always smell good: It makes sense that a wealthy man would smell good. Do pick fragrances that are concentrated, as they tend to last longer. Creed makes a perfume called Aventus which was inspired by Napoleon. It’s made out of blackcurrant, oak, beech, and jasmine, smells that are both bold and timeless.
6. The timepiece: One thing every man should invest in is a good watch. Millionaires all wear statement timepieces. According to Men’s Health, you can’t rise to the top if you’re always running late. Choose watches from Breitling or Hublot to keep you stylish and on time. If you’re on a lower budget, go for Gucci or Burberry. Though they’re not lower end, they’re cheaper than the latter. Just remember, it’s an investment in yourself.
7. Grey is the new black: Forget the black suit, wear a grey one to stand out. Harvey Spector, from the TV show 'Suits' sure does. Just make sure the shade of grey is not too bland or flashy. If you’re wearing a waistcoat, it goes without saying that it should match your suit.
8. Casual is NOT sloppy: A lot of millionaires go for the casual look on weekends. Nobody wants to wear formal wear every day all day, no matter how nice it looks. However, in order to look like a millionaire, recognize that casual does not mean you have to look sloppy. Skip the tank tops and shorts and opt for jeans with a polo or a casual shirt and khakis.
9. Groomed nails are a must: Many men overlook this, but groomed nails are as important in men as they are in women. Millionaire or not, every person’s hands and feet need to be groomed at all times. It’s just a matter of hygiene, really. 1847 in the Jumeirah Beach Residence specialises in men’s grooming.
10. Sunglasses: Lastly, do invest in a pair of designer sunglasses. They will last you for a long time, and they will give a hint of a higher status. Louis Vuitton and Gucci have classic pieces.
On an end note, millionaires look sharp from head to toe. You can’t look like a million dollars and have an iPhone case that looks like it's 10 years old. Do commit to your looks. They won’t magically turn you into a millionaire, but they could get you a long way.